Sunday, May 5, 2013

Two Week Hiatus

Well folks, it's been approximately two weeks...two restful weeks might I add, since you last heard from me. If you are a regular follower of this blog, the last time I wrote I probably left you in a little bit of suspense. We did have our end of Semester 1 Final, which was very difficult (166 questions in about 3 and 1/2 hours). That's a long time to take a test...especially if you have to pee right from the start. But I'm here writing, so I obviously got through it and did well enough to pass onto the next semester.

After the final (and I think I can speak for most people), I absolutely checked out. It was relax mode (beach, gym, celebration) and getting ready for a well-deserved break from school (and yes, the island). I took a treacherous taxi ride from Portsmouth to the airport two days later and flew to Barbados in the evening amidst a torrential downpour. I was extremely lucky because  I was on one of the last flights to leave Dominica for the following two days due to weather. On the day that I flew out of Dominica, a group of students waited over 14 hours for their plane to arrive and take them home (I would have gone crazy in that tiny airport). By the way, the airport is about the size of one departing gate at an American airport. Once I got to Barbados, I hailed a cab and went to my hotel, Silver Point. I grabbed a late bite to eat, spent the night, and got in a cab at 5:30 in the morning in order to make my next flight. After making a stop in Miami, I took a short 45 minute flight to Orlando....and I was finally home.

Now, I'm not sure at how well I describe the amount of stress and pressure us Ross students are under all the time, but, regardless, it felt amazing for those factors to be nonexistent over break. No schedules, no reading, no tests. Nothing. If you ask anybody now about how their break was, it usually goes something like this, "It was toooo short and I just pretty much relaxed the whole time." And, honestly, that response pretty much sums up my break as well. Golf, Charley's steakhouse, NBA playoffs, home cooked meals, chocolate chip cookies, Ross friends, Argo, relatives, sleeping-in, gym, Pain and Gain, etc. That's it in a nutshell.


I flew back to Dominica on May 2nd via San Juan. Sidenote: I was very impressed with JetBlue; they had delicious snacks and free in-flight television. I got back to my room at Portsmouth Beach Hotel very late, so I only had time to unpack, which was a sweaty process (I will explain). Unfortunately, sometime during my break my fan decided to stop working....that was a nice welcome back. As Kramer would say...


But a quick fix (and more importantly $97 EC later), I have a brand new fan keeping me cool. The last three days of being on the island were a lot less stressful than when I first came to the island four months ago. This time around, I have spent tons of time at the beach, gym, restaurants (AND NOT SUBWAY YET!!! Im holding out until tomorrow), and less time freaking out about the upcoming semester. I feel a lot more prepared for this semester, not only because I have all the material things that need here (since I brought more stuff back to Dominica with me that I forgot the first time), but also with my mindset. I am already among the 71% of students from my class to advance to the 2nd semester, which is an accomplishment in itself. But also, I will be able to learn from my mistakes that I made last semester as well as improve on the things that I did well. Tomorrow is my second first day. Block 5: Nervous System/Psychiatrics and Endocrine System. I'm pumped...are you?



No comments:

Post a Comment