Sunday, June 9, 2013

Only In Dominica...

Well, it's been a long week, but I made it through. The Standard Patient session went great and it was a terrific experience working with a real-life patient (even if they were acting!). But they were really awesome and if you didn't previously know that they were faking their symptoms and injuries, you honestly would have no clue. As for me, I got so wrapped up into treating the SP session as if it was a real patient interview and physical examination (which we were supposed to do) that I totally forgot that the patient was just "portraying" certain symptoms.

Besides the SP session, last week was the same old stuff. We now have 5 weeks of lecture and lab material on our plates, and we still have one last week of lecture material on top of that until our first Mini in a week and a half. Hoofta! That's going to be a really long test, especially since it will cover approximately half of 2nd semester.

This upcoming week, like I already said, will be a full slate of lectures, a Simulation activity, and a hands-on Thyroid Palpitation lab. It should be fun.

So this past week has also brought up a couple of things that I feel like only happen in Dominica...and they both deal with dogs. (1) It must be that time of year when the stray dogs down here get a little frisky...and let me tell you, it can spoil your lunch. And (2) well...this little gem:


If you're wondering what the heck that is...that would be a dog carrying an iguana. Never seen that before! It was actually pretty funny. I was outside practicing taking someone's blood pressure when I overheard a few screams and some laughter, and all of the sudden...a dog turns the corner carrying this humongous iguana in its mouth! You might not be able to tell from the picture, but that iguana is longer than the dog. Crazy! Anyway...only in Dominica...

I know this song doesn't have the right reptile in it, but I can't think of any better song that goes with this post. Sorry for the sort of freaky video...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw


1 comment: