Sunday, June 23, 2013

Working For The Weekend

I'm back and after a long...long week, I know I've got things to share, so sit down, buckle up, and enjoy the ride! We have now finished our First Block of Semester 2. Of course, we had to go through a Gross Anatomy Practical (last Monday) and our first Mini (last Wednesday) to get to this point, but here we are just chugging along. And if you're wondering, my bladder did not explode during the Mini. But, after a 3 hr and 41 min test, let's just say there was a line outside the bathroom. Typically, I drink about 20 ounces of water right when I wake up every morning, but on test day, I just can't do it. Too bad I had to learn from experience to figure that one out.

Well, enough about my bodily functions. After our two big tests, we started Block 2 on Thursday, Gastrointestinal/Renal Systems. From what I hear, this block should be pretty difficult. But we only had two days of lectures (that means less material than normal to go over on the weekend), so that provided a relaxing weekend. Hey, we ARE in medical school, but we need a break every once in a while! Originally I had planned to go on a hike with some friends. ROSS has a club called "The Excursion Club" that organizes and goes on adventures every weekend, so I had signed up for "The Seven Waterfalls" hike. Apparently, it is a pretty difficult hike that includes climbing over rocks and boulders, ascending/descending a mountain, crossing a few rivers, and yep...you guessed it, seeing seven waterfalls. You're so smart! It sounded like a lot of fun...but it didn't happen. The weather in Dominica during this time of year is very unpredictable. It will be clear blue skies out and then in an instant it will be pouring rain. Because of the heavy rains, the rivers up in the mountains become very dangerous and the mountain becomes difficult to climb. About midweek, I got an email saying that the excursion had been called off. Sadly, two locals died earlier this past week up in the mountains because they were swept away by a river. So yea...we decided not to go. Yes, it would be really cool to see some of the natural side of this island (instead of the inside of a classroom) at some point, but it wasn't worth risking my life. I'll just have to go next time when the conditions are better. So what was a disappointing cancelled-hike-day turned into a beautiful beach day! Not a bad tradeoff. Here are a few pictures I've taken lately:







Could you spot the crab in the first picture? Or the pelican in the last? The one great thing about living in Portsmouth is...you can never mess up a sunset picture. Well, that's pretty much all I got for you, since the beginning of the week was mostly spent studying for tests. This next week is a full slate of lectures and one lab, Supracolic Viscera. Should be fun.

P.S. Shout out to my Godson Charlie for learning how to crawl and stand during the last few weeks, while also enjoying his first time swinging and swimming! Way to go!



1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am thinking about applying to Ross in the near future and was wondering, what was your MCAT score to get in there? Or what is their minimum score? Thank You!

    ReplyDelete