Sunday, September 22, 2013

Bugs & Drugs

If you needed a recap of the entire week that us Third Semesters have just gone through, you can read it in the title. That's really it. Like I have said before, Third & Fourth Semester are all about describing the processes in the body and our ways to adapt when things go wrong. And apparently, as we found out this week, those adaptive processes are initiated by a lot of viruses and bacteria (that we pretty much need to know everything about...size, shape, color, favorite foods, hobbies....ok maybe not all of that). But it is a lot of detail and takes a tremendous amount of memorization and time. On top of all of that, we had a huge list of drugs dropped into our lap this week all dealing with the autonomic nervous system. And since that pretty much involves the entire body, you can imagine how many effects and sides effects those drugs have with their administration. Ok, it's not all that bad! Even though it is a lot of work, it is still very interesting and I am just shocked every single day at how much I am learning.

Besides the schoolwork, nothing too much has changed. The basketball season started on Friday and team "Hoops! I Did It Again"  and I won our first game in our 3rd season together. It was a great game for us (not so much for the other team), but just the beginning to our quest to win that ever elusive championship. 

Subway is still Subway. 

I tried spinach and eggplant pizza the other day. I know a few of you reading this are probably shocked, since I would never have done that in a million years in the US because (1) I'm not that adventurous, (2) they probably don't have it in the US, and (3) US pizza restaurants never run out of EVERYTHING ELSE! All in all, it wasn't too bad. I might even have it again.

Tomorrow is my first community clinic where I will go with a small group of classmates to interview a few patients and maybe watch some procedures at a nearby health facility. It is Ross' way to get us, not only involved with actual patients, but working alongside actual MD's in a real health clinic. It should be really exciting!

Hasta luego

No comments:

Post a Comment