Sunday, September 8, 2013

M2S1, But Still Making Rookie Mistakes

I may be in the first semester (S1) of my second year of medical school (M2), but every once in a while I still make mistakes like I've never spent a day on this island. Whether it's walking all the way to the grocery store (that closes at 5 PM on Sunday) at 5:15 PM or leaving a box of frosted flakes semi-open, only to find it infested with ants when you return home, the island has the uncanny ability to make even the simplest things...difficult.

The other night, I finished studying early and went home. Perfect. Nothing better than getting more than six and half hours of sleep. But sometimes you're just too darn excited to sleep...at least this was my case. I was woken up by my phone ringing at 7:55 AM. It wasn't my alarm. It was one of my friends calling me to remind me that class started in 5 mins. Great! Just the way I wanted to start the morning after a refreshing night of sleep, by being behind a whole lecture and having to rush. It looks like I was too excited to sleep that I forgot to set my alarm. Stupid. So, instead I took my time to get ready and made it in time for my 9 o'clock class. Luckily, at Ross we have something called Mediasite where we can re-watch all of the lectures any time we want (each lecture is video recorded). I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you know me at all...that stuff just doesn't typically happen. Im usually on top of things.

This week was filled with "firsts". Not only did I oversleep for the first time (which is strange since it seems that I'm always sleep-deprived), but another odd thing happened to me for the first time as well. I was taking a shower and washing my hair the other day. All of the sudden, a big black thing dropped onto the floor of the shower. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and sort of thought that it came out of my hair. But that's strange. My hair is blonde and I would have definitely noticed a big hunk of dark something in my hair. I got closer to look at it when it suddenly moved! It was a baby gecko in my shower! That's never happened before. And so the moral of the story is that I had a baby gecko running rampant around my room for two days until I finally caught it and set it free outside on my porch. Elusive little fellas!

It should be a short upcoming week with no classes on Monday (only a session on learning how to do a General Survey and a second session where I will do a Patient Interview) as well as classes Tuesday-Thursday. No classes Friday! Woohoo! Have a good week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q


1 comment:

  1. I am going to Ross U May 2014. I am a bit worried of how it is going to be on the island. I would like to ask more questions about it. Is there anyway I can be in contact with you via email? Here is mine h3591d@yahoo.com. This is not a spam.

    ReplyDelete